Saturday, January 2, 2010

Family door hanging

My dad and brother are both engineers too, and they seem happiest when their hands are busy. So I put them to work while they were here for Christmas turning around one of our doors. The door leads into one of the smallest laundry rooms I've ever seen, which is also home to the illustrious Beer Fridge. With the door swinging into the laundry room it hits the door of the washing machines, which is a roaring pain, and there's not enough room for a laundry basket. In short, it was a poor design decision that I've just been slow to rectify. So we did.

Here you can see my brother ironing something out with the bottom hinge while dad holds the door in place. I helped more than just taking pictures, honest. I mortised out patches for the new hinges and spackled over the old holes.

So now the door swings out! Thanks again for the help, guys!
I didn't grab any pictures of the deed, but part of our fence blew down while they were down here. The posts had rotted off at the bases. Ryan was a whiz with getting the old concrete plugs, and it gave me an excuse to buy a giant wrecking bar. We got the holes dug, the concrete poured, the poles set up and the dirt tamped down pretty quickly. All that is left is to screw the bits of fence back onto them.

No comments:

Post a Comment