Sunday, November 29, 2009

Attic stairs installed!

These make me deliriously happy:


The thing is solid as a rock, particularly compared to the rickety ladder I climbed up and down on a million times to build this. In the final steps I had some very welcome help from Michelle who helped hold the step ladder and her husband Scott who nailed in the temporary straps in the attic while I held the permanent ladder assembly up over my head. I finished up the last of the nails and basked in the glory of a completed project. Well, at least the really hard stuff is done. There's still a nice frame to go around the edges, and the floor boards in the attic to nail down.

I found something neat at Home Depot: it's a motion detector that screws into the light bulb socket. I used that in the attic to save a little wiring work, and it makes a better solution. I stumbled across an odd frustration though. In the attic there was a little plastic junction box, apparently unused. I check on the nice bare wires that were sitting in it. Of course they were live. Seriously, the electricians who worked on this house need to be kicked in the jibblets.

No comments:

Post a Comment