Saturday, November 28, 2009

Building an attic

So yesterday I had my first major foray into really changing the landscape of my house. I've been trying to excavate the space over the garage and create an attic out of it since there's about 300 square feet of usable storage up there. The builders didn't think we needed access to any of that, though they timbered it like it had to be bomb proof, so it can support enough weight. There's not much wiring or HVAC to get in the way over the garage so the space you get is far more open and usable than the upstairs attic.
I picked up an attic stair kit at Home Depot, and went for the beefier one, since the light weight ones could barely hold me, and the point of this is for me to be able to carry things up there. Unfortunately the beefy stairs are wider than the space between the beams, so I spent a lot of time yesterday sistering up one of the beams and holding my breath while I cut the original out. It worked great.
The flooring I picked out was chip board, and it comes in 3/4in X 5ft X 6ft. I tried to lift that up into the attic on my own but the sheets are too heavy and too long- they hit the roof timbers before you can get them all the way in. It took me a lot of grunting and straining and some of Stef's help to figure that out.

The rest of this Thanksgiving weekend will be pretty busy. Things to do: build a floor for the attic, take a bike ride, wire in a new switch and lights in the attic and the garage, write a paper of the Knowne World Handbook, help Zoe with her science experiment, polish my leg armour and mount brass on the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment