Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Abstract art and music without melody

If art doesn't get me thinking, or move me I don't have much use for it. I can get something out of Klimt, I like Bosch, but Pollack? Why would anyone pay to own that? I can see why people might like Monet, though his work is pretty bland to me. This stuff is technically a bit of a challenge, but it just does nothing for me. It feels like a movement based on the bluff that you have to be very sophisticated to really appreciate art, and if you don't get something so avant guard you must be culturally base. A lot of modern jazz seems to be based on the same bluff, and it bugs me. I respect the heck out of Wynton Marsalis for what he can do with a trumpet- but when he's free to just play whatever jazz he chooses? Some of that is just random notes. His "Crescent City Christmas Card" album is difficult to tolerate even as background noise. If you can't whistle it or dance to it, you really should consider if you're making music or just masturbating in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment